I am writing to you to discuss the struggles I have faced in just my 3-4 months of blogging. If you are a blogger like myself, then you will probably relate well with some of the struggles I will be talking about. However, if you are not let me educate you on some of the struggles I have encountered and unfortunately still facing.
- Breakthrough: Every blogger definitely wants to post on both Instagram and their blog. The joy, however, is to be getting high views or traffic on both ends. But to be honest that is definitely the wrong mindset as it is the opposite in reality.Don’t get me wrong, over time, with growth obviously, the views and interest from readers will get higher because people start getting familiar with the type of contents you put out.
Sometimes before even publishing a post, believe me when I say I have to pray for the fear that perhaps I might not get any readers that will be interested in my content. In fact, this gets me so sad and here is why.
- Repost: Every blogging websites often give tips on how to get your articles reposted by popularly known social media profiles. This is often about using hashtags.But, I have noticed that if you eventually check out these so called popular pages that claim to be a community or agency page for bloggers, you will rarely see black people. And then go even further to accounts dedicated to blacks who blogs, all you will see is probably mixed. You rarely see Nigerians especially Muslim women or they keep posting one particular Muslim women. In fact, it is not like there are no other amazing Nigerian bloggers but before they post or give us credit, it almost appears as if you are begging.
Of course, getting support from already popular pages dedicated to bloggers be it brownish or blackish is really essential. Not only does it create more awareness for your blog in view of your contents, it also increases your followers and traffic but getting that is hard.
- Blogging is definitely not easy: Any influencer or content creator who is using social media as a platform for blogging will attest to the fact that to create is not easy. Is it having to book different people for a shoot or thinking of outfits?
I am my own boss; ranging from editing to drafting out value driven articles. Not only that, I also have a job and school. Most people are juggling different things with blogging and sometimes when you don’t get commended through traffic and awareness, it makes you really sad.
- Modesty: A modest fashion blogger has to work hard to dress in an interesting but modest way. For me, I struggle with trying to find ways to bridge the trend gaps even in a modest way.
For instance, this gown, I had to think of another way to dress it up because fashion industry or top fashion sites do not create clothes that are affordable, unique and modest. Instead, you have to worry about slits, sleeveless or short arm. I can’t keep wearing an abaya but rather improvise in a modest way.
- Opportunities: As a fashion blogger who is upcoming, it is hard to get opportunities. Companies seem to have already beamed on a particular set of people to work with, which is mostly not Nigerian bloggers. But, one of my good friends also told me we need to start reaching out to brands.
I am still struggling with doing that because of the perception that they won’t give me a chance as I am still upcoming compared to the very popular bloggers they work with.
I know this perception isn’t good because it is not just about praying for it but also working towards it.
- Community: The blogging community especially Nigerians has a long way to go. It is very funny how I see accounts, bloggers to be precise, whom should be supporting each other but all they do is think they need to compete or considered superior to one another.
The sky is just a starting point and it is big enough for everyone. Even if we are both fashion bloggers who have the same target audience, we can all still prosper. There is always something called the competitive advantage.No need for comparison or malice.
We are humans, thus, jealousy or a troubled mind will arise sometimes when we see other getting more recognition. But, that feeling needs to be destroyed and stopped. Instead, assure yourself that your time (blessings) is on the way and be genuinely happy for the other person.
In conclusion, these are some of the challenges I have faced; but because i genuinely love blogging and I know nothing comes easy, I have to keep going. More so, find solutions to some of the struggles I am facing and update you on what worked or not so that any one who is going through what I am going through can benefit as well.
Cover scarf: @24thirty on instagram